Monday, August 27, 2012

Dirty Thirty

The Dirty 30s have arrived
The end of this week marks the end of my 20s and quite honestly, I am pretty freaking excited! My 20s have been everything I wanted and more, so I can only be optimistic about my 30s. What makes this even better is that I get to start my 30s on the right foot. I finally have some kind of financial plan and I am not going to stay in debt any longer than I need to.  $hit, I guess this means that I am finally becoming a grown-up! Mind you, someone told me yesterday that they thought I was only 24 at most, so that made me feel pretty good about myself! And I do still get id'd when I'm wearing a hat. My secret, drink a lot of water, moisturize, do yoga, and be a boy.


Monkey Butt
For the big 30th Birthday party I really want to keep costs down, but still have some fun. If you know me well, you know that I started losing my hair when I was only 21, so now I have this giant monkey-butt sticking out of the back of my head. Hence, my decision to have long and luxurious blue hair for my party, was an easy one. That's right, I'm talking about a wig party! Celebrities do this every single day, so why can't my friends and I have a little wig-out of our own? Part of keeping the costs down is to make sure that no-one is having to buy anything more than a wig (or even better, reuse a wig from an old Halloween costume).  This is a wigs-only event! I'm going to make sure that I have some wig-themed activities like pin-the-wig-on-the-donkey. It's going to be fun, affordable, and altogether pretty bad-a$$. I'll make sure to post a picture of my sexy new locks post-party!
In other news, I have been a little taxed financially with helping to cover for my partner who is without a job and heading into school. He's going to be paying me back when his student loan money comes in, which is great, but not having the money to throw at my debt as much as I had wanted to this month has been bizarre - especially since I got an extra paycheck this month!

I really have gotten used to paying off my debt as quickly as possible, so when I don't drop at least $1,000 on my debt each month, I panic a little. This is also a pretty exciting thing too though. My partner and I are starting to behave more like a financial unit. The reality is that his debt becomes my debt, but we do like to keep our finances separate. It seems silly to worry about the money, especially since I am ahead of schedule by 3 months, but I really really want to impress Gail when I am on her radio show in a couple of weeks!
Wig Party!

Speaking of being on Gail's show, I have been booked for an entire half hour, but I think that the reality is that I will only be on her show for about 5 minutes. I think that they want to make sure that I am on the line for when she wants to talk to me and then let me go early if I am boring the heck out of her. There are also those occasions when someone will call into Gail's show when she asks a question like: how much should we give for a wedding gift, or what is the minimum you should tip at a restaurant, then someone will call in on a tangent about something that has nothing to do with what the question is and all about kissing Gail's butt.  I have appreciate hearing all the financial success stories on her show (which is the category I'm going to fall into), but some of the guests have been a bit depressing. It's funny how much some of them still dwell on their past mistakes even though they are debt free and leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else!

Now I'm not advocating forgetting the past, and I do believe that we should learn from our mistakes, but once something difficult has been conquered, we should celebrate it, not dwell on it. Sometimes you just have to let go (which is easier said than done) in order to get ahead. Remember that you have more control of your life than you want to believe sometimes. More often than not, we choose if we want to be in debt, how much we want to stay in debt, and more importantly, we choose how the debt makes us feel and how we feel about the debt. 

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Got my wig too. I'm exited. You are such an inspiration John. I hope I am where you are at 30. I made a tribute blog to you: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/onebrokeassbitch. And your head does not look like a monkey's bum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! Wig party was amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete